Archicad and BIM
Archicad is one of the oldest architectural CAD software that deals with all common aspects of aesthetics and engineering during the whole design process of the built environment - buildings, interiors and urban areas. Also, Archicad became regarded by some as the first implementation of BIM (Building information modeling). Archicad has a lot of users (both architects and interior designers) all over the world and it's becoming more popular each day. Architects love it, but is Archicad good for interior design and if so, why?
Archicad has plenty of good features, like 2D drafting, 3D modeling, architectural rendering, publishing (vectorial and pixel-based technical drawings with images and text), document management, data interchange, collaboration and remote access. But what makes Archicad great is its smart objects or data-enhanced parametric objects feature (walls, slabs, roofs, doors, windows, and furniture). Back in the 1980s, this feature was unique on the CAD software market. All of these components create an Archicad object library or, more simply put, the Archicad library. Our focus is going to be on the objects that are related to furniture. You can find these within a wide range of names like parametric models, BIM modes, BIM objects etc. Long story short, we will call them Archicad objects or objects.
Interior design with Archicad library and smart objects
Now we know what Graphisoft Archicad is and we also know that its smart objects feature gives it an edge on the market,, but is there something else that's making it a perfect fit for interior design? What I am about to say is rooted in my experience as an architect working for the past 13 years with this software. Advantages of working with Archicad:
- always working on scale. Working on scale is intuitive and all the building process is scale based: you can introduce the dimensions for everything fast and easy.
- working on 2D and 3D at the same time. The Archicad objects are both 2D and 3D, so when designing you get them both done at the same time.
- easy placing of Archicad objects and navigation. All the smart objects provided by the software are easy to use, place and move around. Just drag and drop for placing, a few clicks for getting the dimension, and drag for moving the objects. Navigating is both easy and fun (you can use W,A,S,D keys like in gaming), and the 3D view can be switched from perspective to all kinds of axonometric views.
- built-in tools offer a lot of freedom. You can model almost everything with the provided tools in the software.
Bimarium Archicad objects - a perfect fit
If Archicad is so great, why do we need bimarium.com and bimarium Archicad objects? The answer is simple. With bimarium, Archicad works better, and you (the user) are making better, smarter designs as a result. Let me explain. As I stated before, Archicad is a software that deals with the whole design process of the built environment - buildings, interiors and urban areas. This means the Archicad objects are more in the generic area of design: some chairs, some sofas, some beds etc. So, there is a limitation both in quantity and design. bimarium.com comes to compensate for this gap with hand-picked designer furniture objects that can improve your design and the speed of your workflow. Moreover, with our 3D models you can:
- change textures/ materials easily. Changing materials is just a click away. You can use the Archicad texture library (the default materials) or you can create new ones and assign them to our 3D models.
- have a balanced number of polygons. The geometry looks great and does not kill your computer. When modeled these objects we also thought (maybe more than you) about your computer, so most of our models have around 7k (simple models) to maximum 20k (complex ones) polygons. This will ensure a smooth working process even with files which contain a large number of models.
- change materials, lines and fills from the Object Settings menu. Our 3D models are a mix of gdl scripting and mesh modeling so you get a smart object that you can customize to fit your needs.
- have clean and beautiful 2D projection. We have been taking care of each 2D projection of models so you don't have to. You are getting 2D projection while having a nice looking 3D model in the back.
This is why I think Graphisoft Archicad is a very powerful tool for interior design and why bimarium.com and our Archicad objects are a perfect fit.
Stefan, Architect & Bimarium Co-founder